This year marks the 150th anniversary of Canada, so make the day extra special with these healthy, delicious and patriotic Canada Day recipes. These three recipes are healthy, low-fat, and low in calories, so you can enjoy all the festivities without the guilt.
This no bake watermelon cake comes from SoberJulie. This recipe is incredibly easy but is wonderfully delicious. You can view the recipe and images here.
- Take a large watermelon and cut off each end, skin, and white bits.
- Place your watermelon on its flat side and trim into a round shape.
- Place the watermelon in the fridge for 20 minutes to let it chill. (The whipped cream will stick more easily if the watermelon is chilled.)
- Ice the watermelon with whipped cream as if you were icing a cake,
- Decorate your watermelon cake with strawberries in the shape of a maple leaf.
- Show off your wonderful treat then dig in!
Team Canada Veggie and Cheese Platter
This colorful appetizer tray from Canada Living is not only patriotic, but it also is a healthy alternative snack. You can see the recipe and images here.
- Take 4 cups of halved grape tomatoes and arrange them to create the bars of the Canadian flag.
- Trace a maple leaf onto paper and cut out. Cut 2 cups of sweet red peppers and fill in the template shape. Then arrange the peppers in the center of the platter.
- Fill in the gaps between the red bars and maple leaf with cauliflower florets.
- Cut letters from cheese using a letter-shaped cookie cutter to spell out your message. (We suggest mozzarella or cheddar.)
- Blanch broccoli in boiling water for 15 seconds, then chill in ice water. Then drain and arrange the broccoli on the platter.
- Arrange sliced carrots alongside the broccoli.
- Serve with your favorite dip or a selection of dips.
- Enjoy with friends and family!
Canada Day Popsicles
Fun, healthy popsicle comes from Exploring Healthy foods. You see the recipe and images here.
- Blend 16oz of strawberries into 1/4 cup of water until it is a liquid consistency.
- Combine 500g Greek yogurt and 2tbsp of maple syrup (or honey) into a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the Greek yogurt mix into the popsicle mold, then pour in the strawberry mixture.
- Gently mix the strawberry mixture with the Green yogurt with the popsicle stick.
- Freeze popsicles for at least 5 hours.
We hope enjoys these yummy recipes! What are some of your favorite recipes for Canada Day?